Every good journey needs a variety of things.
First of all, you’ve got to start with an AWESOME heroine/hero…
Now, let’s say that awesome person is YOU!
In order to begin what in creative terms is deemed as a “good story”, you need to start off with a few simple ingredients. You start with what’s called “the ordinary world”. This is a basic assessment of where you’re at right now. For any decent-sized journey, creative or otherwise, you should feel like:
- Something is missing
- You have a goal that you want to achieve
- There is a quality that you want to attain
- Something is not right
- Something needs to change
Sound familiar? I thought so. I have been in that very same boat plenty of times. So, how do you begin your adventure into your best, most creative self?
Well, this week, I am committing myself to looking at this current situation. Really looking at it. Breaking it down. Writing about it. Drawing it. Dancing it. And all that jazz.
Care to join me?
Wicked! Let’s start by doing a 10-minute timed writing exercise beginning with the phrase “My ordinary world is…”. I highly recommend you take stock of your current creative spirit and try this simple exercise.
The rules? Easy peasy:
- Just keep the pen moving and don’t censor yourself.
- If you get stuck, just keep writing, even if you’re writing “I’m really stuck right now, this exercise is meh”. Just keep that pen moving.
- You can also simply go back to the phrase “My ordinary world is…”
- Just keep going for the full 10 minutes!
Do it right after you read this. 🙂
I really want to know how this goes for you so be sure to write about what you experienced below! What did you learn? Were you surprised by anything? Do tell, do tell.
Okay, now’s the time. You can do it. Go go go!!!
And as always…